How to get rid of dark circles and puffiness under your eyes
If you are struggling with dark circles and puffiness under your eyes and have tried various products but had no improvement, you may feel that there is nothing you can do to get rid of them. One form of extremely safe therapy, that can greatly improve the appearance of dark circles and puffiness that you may not know about is lymphatic massage/drainage. What causes dark circles and puffiness under your eyes? There are various factors that can worsen the appearance of dark circles and puffiness under your eyes, however, there are 5 significant causes.
- Hereditary Genetics can be a significant factor in the appearance of dark circles and puffiness under your eyes, which are likely to get worse as you get older.
- Skin Tone Skin tone decreases as you get older. If you have very pale skin you are more likely to notice the loss of skin tone as your muscles weaken with age. When this happens, fat cells can change shape and cause under-eye 'bags'.
- Inflammation Certain conditions that cause chronic inflammation can result in the collagen and elastin to break down. When this happens, skin becomes looser and under-eye 'bags' can become significantly worse.
- Fluid Retention Fluid retention which can be made worse due to aging, diet and environmental stressors cause the lymphatic system to become less effective at draining away the lymph fluid. When lymph fluid collects in the under-eye area, they can look puffy and give the appearance of under-eye 'bags'. 5. Diet and sleep disturbance Diets high in salt can cause fluid retention which especially when combined with disturbed sleep can cause puffiness and the appearance of dark circles and under-eye 'bags'.
What can facial lymphatic massage/drainage help?
Decrease puffiness and the appearance of dark circles under the eyes Improve facial muscles Brighten and tone sallow skin Reduce the appearance of fine lines and help to prevent deep wrinkles Decrease symptoms of sinusitis Stress, anxiety and pain How does Lymphatic drainage work? Lymphatic drainage therapy involves drainage of the lymph nodes. Lymph nodes are located in various places in the body and filter toxins and viruses. Massaging the lymph nodes stimulates the lymph fluid, containing white blood cells which improves blood flow and circulation which helps to deliver nutrients and oxygen to the skin cells. This in turn reduces water retention which can cause puffiness under the eyes and helps to filter out dead blood cells, which can also reduce the appearance of dark circles. Lymph circulation can be reduced by various factors including diet and stress and when it is impaired, toxins build up. Therefore, in addition to helping to reduce the appearance of puffiness and dark circles under the eyes, lymphatic drainage therapy reduces swelling and inflammation and allergies and improves organ function and immunity, therefore benefiting the overall health of the patient. What else can Lymphatic drainage therapy help? Immune system - when the flow of lymphatic fluid is increased during Lymphatic drainage therapy the production of antibodies is increased and the immune system is able to fight off infections more effectively. Inflammation - speeding up the drainage of lymph fluid can help to reduce inflammation and associated pain. Healing - lymphatic drainage therapy encourages the regeneration of tissues and cells which can also help to improve the appearance of scars after surgery
Research that supports the positive effects of Lymphatic drainage massage/therapy The International Alliance of Healthcare Educators has conducted various research that supports the benefits of lymph drainage therapy, to decrease stress, anxiety and pain. What happens during Lymphatic drainage massage/therapy? You will normally lie down for lymphatic drainage therapy and for the most benefit it is advisable to visit a trained therapist who understands exactly where the lymph nodes are located under the skin and the correct amount pressure to apply. Patients report it to be very relaxing, your therapist will use their hands to apply a combination of gentle, rhythmic strokes to stimulate the numerous lymph nodes and encourage drainage of the lymph fluid.
How will I feel after Lymphatic drainage massage/therapy?
After lymphatic therapy you should feel relaxed. You may need to urinate right after a massage and will need to drink plenty of water to prevent yourself from becoming dehydrated and feeling sick. Many patients report feeling exhausted for the rest of the day after lymphatic massage/drainage therapy. How long will the results last after Lymphatic drainage massage/therapy? The results will vary depending on your own physical health. The results from lymphatic drainage therapy, to address puffiness and dark circles under the eyes tend to last approximately a month. Making changes to your diet, increasing your exercise levels and improving the quality of sleep, may all help the results to last longer. Foods that help your lymphatic system: Green leafy salad and vegetables Fruits, low in sugar such as avocados and grapefruit Garlic Ground flaxseed, chia seeds Brazil nuts and almonds
Three alternative methods to get rid of dark circles and puffiness under your eyes
- Diet - eat the foods listed above, reduce your salt intake and increase your intake of water.
- Cold compress - placing cucumber slices, a cold spoon or tea bags (soaked for 5 minutes and then chilled in the fridge for 20 minutes ) on your eyes can help to reduce puffiness and the appearance of under-eye 'bags'.
- Sleep - Getting more sleep with your head elevated can help to prevent the lymph fluid collecting in the under-eye area which causes puffiness and the appearance of under-eye 'bags'. The skin under your eyes is very delicate and the wrong products may actually make 'puffiness' look more prominent. When all else fails and you need to use makeup to cover dark circles, ensure you use a concealer specifically made for under the eyes.